Monday, July 23, 2007

Day 5: Wednesday 22/06/05

Drove to kayak Africa a resort 10 minutes away. From here we had to paddle for 10km to Mamba Island (a private little tropical island paradise) I’m not fit at all, so Bush Pig had to become bush butterfly and flap those arms boy because I was not coping at all. We arrived on the island just over an hour later. The main island is 4 squared kilometres. On it, is the kitchen where our food was prepared and all kinds of walks and nature trails. There is smaller island which is where the accommodation is and a swing bridge joined the 2. We were the only guests on the island.

There are 5 double luxury tents so I took the one with the sunset view. I didn’t see why I needed to share with anyone if the whole island was ours anyway. Each tent had 2 beds, bedside tables, chairs, a beautiful deck and a hammock. All you hear are the waves crashing down below and the cry of the fish eagle. there was a communal section with the bar (where you just help yourself and mark down what you take. the island staff give you privacy and only come to that island to serve the meals, which are at set times, we were fed lunch, dinner and breakfast) a dining section, more hammocks and a couple of board games. (I learnt to play Bawo) the toilet was a luxury long drop (if u can picture such a thing) and the hot water shower was out doors (stunning view)… we went for an afternoon hike just to check it out. Saw monitor lizards and hornbills. I haven’t travelled all over the world (yet) but this has got to be 1 of the most beautiful places on earth!!!

In such a romantic setting I would have loved being able to make love to someone right there. Everything was perfect. The only problem with the island was being there single and having no nice boys around. However, I did have a little fun in my tent after yet another photo shoot, all started with rubbing some after sun on my burnt back. I’m so going back there someday (with someone special!!!)

That night the full moon lit up the sky… this had to be heaven!! I fell asleep on my hammock as the moonlight danced across my skin and the cool breeze kissed my cheek. The next morning I watched as the full moon set on my side of the island. I still can’t believe that I was, where I was… it was so surreal. And to think it’s in the middle of deepest, darkest Africa. To top it off all we paid to be there was r300 p/p per night (thank you for being a journalist Dr Jones) Normal price R1500 p/p.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home